|Land Area||16,377,742 km2|
|Water Area||720,500 km2|
|Total Area||17,098,242km2 (#1)|
|Government Type||Semi-presidential Federation|
|GDP (PPP)||$3,750.00 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$26,100|
View all cities in Russia
People listed are almost always native to the country. We do (on occasion) include those that have either lived within the country for most of their adult life, or have made a significant contribution to the country in their personal endeavors.
- Valery Gergiev conductor, director
- Nikolai Ghe painter
- Vladimir Gilyarovsky writer, journalist
- Aleksandr Glazunov composer
- Ilya Glazunov painter
- Mikhail Glinka composer
- Boris Godunov regent
- Nikolay Gogol author
- Tatyana Golikova composer
- Ivan Goncharov novelist
- Mikhail Gorbachev last head of state of Soviet Union
- Aleksandr Gorchakov statesman
- Maxim Gorky author
- Andrei Grechko politician
- German Gref economist
- Aleksander Griboyedov diplomat, playwright, poet, composer
- Yury Grigorovich dancer, choreographer
- Boris Gromov politician
- Andrei Gromyko statesman, politician
- Lev Gumilev historian, ethnologist, anthropologist
- Nikolay Gumilev poet
- Lyudmila Gurchenko actress, singer
- Alesander Herzen writer, thinker, "Father of Russian Socialism"
- Dmitri Hvorostovsky opera singer
- Igor the Brave prince
- Ilya Ilf author
- Andrey Illarionov economic policy advisor
- Kirsan Ilyumzhinov politician
- Sergey Ilyushin aircraft designer
- Anna Ioannovna former empress
- Abram Ioffe physicist
- Ivan I former prince
- Ivan III the Great former grand prince
- Ivan IV the Terrible former grand prince
- Igor Ivanov politician
- Sergei Ivanov politician
- Alina Kabayeva gymnast, politician
- Lazar Kaganovich politician
- Mikhail Kalashnikov small arms designer
- Mikhail Kalatozov film director
- Mikhail Kalinin politician
- Lev Kamenev revolutionary, politician
- Wassily Kandinsky painter, theorist
- Meliton Kantaria soldier
- Pyotr Kapitsa Nobel laureate
- Nikolay Karamzin writer, historian, poet, critic
- Dimitry Karbyshev Red Army general
- Anatoly Karpov chess grandmaster
- Mikhail Kasyanov prime minister
- Mstislav Keldysh mathematician
- Aleksandr Kerensky former prime minister
- Yerofey Khabarov adventurer
- Konstantin Khabensky actor
- Aram Khachaturyan composer
- Chulpan Khamatova actress
- Valeri Kharlamov hockey player
- Daniil Kharms poet, writer
- Aleksandr Khloponin politician
- Svetlana Khorkina Olympic medalist, gymnast
- Viktor Khristenko politician
- Nikita Khrushchev former premier
- Sergey Kirienko former prime minister
- Kirill I of Moscow patriarch
- Sergey Kirov former Bolshevik
- Vasily Klyuchevsky historian
- Viktor Kochubey statesman
- Aleksandr Kolchak Russian naval commander, polar explorer
- Aleksandra Kollontai revolutionary, ambassador
- Pyotr Konchalovsky painter
- Andrey Konchalovsky director, producer, screenwriter
- Ivan Konev military commander
- Fyodor Konyukhov survivalist, traveler
- Ilya Kormiltsev poet, translator, publisher
- Lavr Kornilov military intelligence officer, explorer
- Sergey Korolev rocket engineer
- Mikhail Koshkin tank designer
- Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya partisan, hero
- Aleski Kosygin statesman
- Anna Kournikova tennis player
- Sofia Kovaleskaya mathematician
- Dmitry Kozak politician
- Ivan Kramskoy painter, art critic
- Ivan Kruzenshtern(Adam Johann von Krusenstern)admiral, explorer
- Ivan Krylov fabulist
- Matilda Kshesinskaya ballerina
- Alexei Kudrin politician
- Arkhip Kuindzhi painter
- Ivan Kulibin mechanic, inventor
- Aleksandr Kuprin writer, pilot, explorer
- Igor Kurchatov nuclear physicist
- Mikhail Kutuzov field marshal
- Lev Landau physicist
- Sergey Lavrov diplomat
- Mikhail Lazarev fleet commander, explorer
- Sergei Lemeshev tenor
- Vladimir Lenin former premier
- Aleksey Leonov cosmonaut, general
- Mikhail Lermontov writer, poet, painter
- Nikolai Leskov novelist, playwright, journalist
- Isaac Levitan painter
- Dmitry Likhachyov scholar
- Eduard Limonov writer, political dissident
- Vladislav Listyev journalist
- Aleksandr Litvinenko officer Soviet KGB
- Nikolai Lobachevsky mathematician
- Mikhail Lomonosov polymath, scientist, writer
- Ulyana Lopatkina ballet dancer
- Andrey Lugovoy politician
- Vladimir Lukin political activist
- Sergey Lukyanenko physician, writer, journalist blogger
- Anatoly Lunacharsky art critic, journalist
- Yury Luzhkov politician
Is a famous person missing from this page?
Submit your Famous Russian
About the AuthorJohn Moen is a cartographer who along with his wife are the orignal founders of worldatlas.com. He and his wife, Chris Woolwine-Moen, produced thousands of award-winning maps that are used all over the world and content that aids students, teachers, travelers and parents with their geography and map questions. Today, it's one of the most popular educational sites on the web.
Russia republics, administrative territories, administrative regions, autonomous districts, 0, autonomous cities & their capitals
What are the Largest Ethnic Groups in Russia?
The majority ethnic group in Russia is ethnic Russia, with Tatars and Ukrainians being the largest minorities.
Largest Ethnic Groups In Russia
What is an Autonomous Government?
Autonomy refers to the capacity and right of a country or other jurisdiction to govern itself. The term, autonomous comes from the Greek word, autonomous meaning auto - “self” and nomos - “law” respectively. In political, moral, and bioethical philosophy, it is explained as the capability of an entity to make an informed, unforced decision.
What Is An Autonomous Government?
Where is the Volga River?
The Volga River flows for 2,266 miles across large spans of the Russian Federation.
The Volga River
What was Bloody Sunday?
Bloody Sunday or Red Sunday refers to the events in St Petersburg, Russia when unarmed demonstrators, were fired upon by soldiers of the Imperial Guard.
10 Important Facts About the Russian Revolution
What was the Holodomor?
The Holodomor was an act of genocide against the Ukrainian peasantry that was carried out by Stalin and the Soviet Union from 1932-33.
What Was The Holodomor?
What is a Puppet Government?
A "puppet state" is a government that has little will of its own, as it needs financial backing or military support. Thus, it acts an a subordinate to another power in exchange for its own survival. The puppet government still holds its own facade of an identity, perpetuated by retaining its own flag, name, national anthem, law, and constitution. However, these type of governments are not considered as legitimate according to international law.