There are hundreds of interesting sites spread across the Middle East and these are but a few. For additional info and links explore the individual countries on the map.
- Band-e Amir is a collection of six deep blue lakes in Afghanistan's Hindu Kush Mountains. As one of the few natural lakes created by travertine systems in the world, Band-e Amir is Afghanistan's first national park....
- Burj Khalifa is the world's tallest manmade structure, and stands 2,723 ft. (829 m). Burj Khalifa officially opened its doors on January 4, 2010, and contains a mix of homes, hotels, parkland, and the Dubai Mall....
- The Dead Sea is a sea of salt that borders Jordan, Israel and the West Bank. At 1,388 ft. (423 m) below sea level, it is Earth's lowest elevation on land; the deepest hypersaline lake at 1,237 ft. (377 m) deep; as well as one of the world's saltiest bodies of water with 33.7% salinity. The high level of saline creates a harsh environment non-supportive of life, hence its name....
- Imam Ali Mosque is the third holiest site for Shi'a followers, and is located in Najaf, Iraq. It is visited by up to 8 million pilgrims a year, and, according to Shias, the Prophets Adam and Noah are buried within the mosque....
- K2 is the second highest mountain on Earth, with an elevation of 28,251 ft. (8,611 m), and is located in Pakistan as part of the Karakoram range....
- Petra is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, and is an ancient city in Ma'an, Jordan. Famous for its rock cut architecture, the structure was constructed around 1200 BC....
- The Rub' al Khali, or Empty Quarter is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, encompassing most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula, including most of Saudi Arabia and areas of Oman, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. The desert covers some 650,000 square kilometres (250,000 sq mi) ....
- The 'Tree of Life' is a 400 year old tree growing in Bahrain's arid desert, with no visible source of water....
Trending on WorldAtlas
The Most Dangerous Cities in the World
The Largest Countries in the World
The 10 Largest Cities in the World
The Most Popular Sports in the World
The 10 Smallest Countries In The World
The Largest Football (Soccer) Stadiums In The World
The Least Populated Countries In The World
29 Largest Armies In The World
Timeline Of Mass Extinction Events On Earth