Lao People's Democratic Republic's Information
|Land Area||230,800 km2|
|Water Area||6,000 km2|
|Total Area||236,800km2 (#82)|
|Government Type||Communist State|
|GDP (PPP)||$40.96 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$5,700|
ATTRACTIONS: (a few major)
Laos is one of the last tourism frontiers in Asia.
There are two main cities, Vientiane, the capital and Luang Phabang, the former capital and an UNESCO World Heritage site. Both cities are home to some of the most beautiful temples in the world.
For outdoor enthusiasts, Laos offers rafting, mountain hiking, kayaking, trekking and rock climbing.
Ecotourism is popular in Laos and visitors flock to the Gibbon experience and the Elephant Conservation Center.
The "Hidden City" of Vieng Xai is a must-see with its subterranean environment of caves, once home to the Pathet Lao.
The landmark, Plain of Jars, is peppered with giant stone urns at over 60 sites, some of which are 2,000 years old. One note of caution when visiting here, there are still unexploded bombs from the nine-year Secret War.
- Calling Code: 856
- Electricity: 230V, 50 Hz
- Drive on the: Right
- Times to Travel: Laos has three distinct seasons: hot, wet and dry.
The hot season is March to May and temperatures can reach as high as 104° F (40° C).
The most favorable time of year to visit is from November to March and the month of August.
The wet or monsoon season is early May to October. Tropical downpours are frequent and at times, the Mekong River will flood.
In the mountains in the northern part of Laos, the temperatures are comfortable from May through July, while in the winter, freezing temperatures are not uncommon.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Association of Travel Agents
- EcoTourism Laos
- Elephant Conservation Center
- Elephant Village
- Gibbon Experience - Bokeo Nature Reserve
- Guide to Laos
- Historic Architecture - Vientiane
- Hotels and Travel Guide
- Inter Lao Tours
- Laos Tourism Guide
- Laos Travel Tours
- Living Land Company
- Luang Namtha Tourist Information
- Luang Prabang Guide
- Phou Khao Khouay Protected Area
- Savannakhet Province Eco Guide
- UNESCO Sites
- Vat Phu Temple Complex
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- Laos Travel Advice and Warnings