|Land Area||14,874 km2|
|Total Area||14,874km2 (#154)|
|Government Type||Semi-presidential Republic|
|GDP (PPP)||$4.98 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$4,200|
East Timor has miles of beautiful beaches, stylish colonial cities, rugged mountains, and coconut tree forests. Here, backpacking and hiking, bird, whale and dolphin watching, scuba diving and snorkeling are suggested activities.
Dili, the main point-of-entry and a good home base for travelers, is a city of churches, monuments and a most picturesque waterfront.
Due to the violence that took place during East Timor's struggle for independence, much of the infrastructure was destroyed. It is slowly being rebuilt thus electricity, telephones, roads and lodging are somewhat unreliable.
Travelers should exercise caution in public places including, but not limited to: clubs, restaurants, bars, schools, places of worship, outdoor recreational events, hotels, resorts, beaches and other locations frequented by foreigners.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Calling Code: 670
- Electricity: 220V, 50Hz
- Drive on the: Left
- Times to Travel: The climate of East Timor is tropical - hot and humid, with a year-round average temperature of 85° F (30° C). Temperatures are much cooler in the higher altitudes.
The wet season is from November to May, and during this time, some of the roads may be damaged, making it difficult to travel from one district to another.
The dry season, and best time to visit, is from June to October.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Atauro Island Eco-Tourism
- Beaches of East Timor
- Dive Timor-Leste
- Eco Discovery Tours
- East Timor Hotels
- East Timor Now Travel Guide
- Motorcycle & 4-Wheel Drive Tours
- Timorese Resistance Museum
- Trekking East Timor
- "Unofficial" Guide to East Timor
TOURISM TRANSPORTATION:PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- East Timor Travel Advice and Warnings