|Land Area||38,394 km2|
|Total Area||38,394km2 (#133)|
|Government Type||Constitutional Monarchy|
|GDP (PPP)||$6.43 Billion|
|GDP Per Capita||$8,100|
View all cities in Bhutan
Bhutan, or Druk Yul with its scenic landscapes and historic buildings is considered the last Shangri-La by many travelers.
Thimphu, the capital city, sits on a hillside adjacent to the river with the same name. Within its boundaries, the Trashi Chhoe Dzong fortress and the Memorial Chorten monument are priorities for visiting.
Add the city of Paro to the list, where the Taktsang (or Tiger's Nest) is located, along with some of Bhutan's oldest temples and monasteries. In Bumthang, there are numerous dzongs, temples and palaces.
Important points-of-interest include the Black Mountain National Park; Satkeng Wildlife Sanctuary; cascading waterfalls in East Bhutan, and the Bumthang Valley.
Note: All tourists (group or individual) must travel on a pre-planned, prepaid, guided tour or custom-designed travel program. Independent travel is not permitted in Bhutan.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Calling Code: 975
- Electricity: 230V, 50Hz
- Drive on the: Left
- Times to Travel: October and November in Bhutan are the best times for major festivals and good weather. Trekking in the mountains is also ideal during this period as the skies are clear and the mountain peaks are mostly visible.
The monsoon season runs from June to August
Early March to May is the second favored time as the wild flowers are blooming and bird watching is at its best.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Association of Bhutan Tour Operators
- Bhutan Journeys
- Bhutan Majestic Travel Agency
- Bhutan Travel Agency
- Bhutan Travel Bureau
- Bhutan Travelers Tour Company
- Enjoy Bhutan
- Jachung Travel Company
- Keys to Bhutan
- Regions of Bhutan
- Trip to Bhutan
- UNESCO Sites
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirements. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
- Bhutan Travel Advice and Warnings
This page was last updated on November 22, 2017.