- There is a shortage of masks all around the world and you likely won't find one to buy currently.
- Even if you have a mask, make sure you still practice social distancing.
- ANyone can make the mask described in this article as it does not require the use of a sewing machine.
With the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic making us all feel unsafe, it is important to take every precaution we can to try and defeat this outbreak. While wearing face masks is not mandatory during this time, it certainly helps, if for nothing else, then at least to make others feel safe around us.
The most important things you need to do are stay at home as much as you can, practice social distancing when you’re outside and wash your hands regularly, wearing a mask is just a bonus. Unless the novel coronavirus infects you, that is, in which case the mask is mandatory.
Is A Face Mask Needed?
However, all around the world, face masks are sold out, and if you really need one for that sense of security, there is a high chance you won’t be able to find it. This is when a lot of people try to make their own masks, so you might be wondering how to do it. First of all, it is worth mentioning that any piece of cloth will have the same effect as most face masks.
The only ones that offer you extra protection are surgical masks and N95 respirators that can be found at pharmacies or hospitals, but you will not be able to make one of those by yourself. One thing that needs to be said here is that the general public should not be buying surgical masks or N95 respirators; they are necessary for medical experts that expose themselves to the disease daily.
Again, this can’t be stressed enough; wearing a face mask is not mandatory. It is recommended to a certain extent, but you should not be terribly worried if you do not have one. Also, masks made at home do not substitute social distancing and staying at home, which should be your primary way of dealing with this pandemic. Now that we have gotten that out of the way, it is time to talk about how to make your own face mask, even if you do not know how to sew.
Making Your Mask
The following instructions are actually quite simple and are given to the public by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A sewing machine is not necessary, which means that anyone can do this.
The materials you will need for your mask are a piece of cotton cloth, be it a bandana, a T-shirt, or just a piece of cloth you have around the house. It should be cut in a square shape, with the dimensions of around 20” x 20”, so use a pair of scissors to do so. You will also need a coffee filter and some rubber bands or hair ties. Those are all the ingredients for making your own face mask. Simple, right?
The process of making it is not hard, either.
- Start by cutting the bottom part off of a folded coffee filter, but do not discard the upper part, you will need that one as well.
- Lay your 20” x 20” piece of cotton cloth down and fold it in half, while placing the cut coffee filter in the center of it.
- Fold the cloth one more time over the filter.
- Place the rubber bands on the edges of the folded cloth, make them around six inches apart.
- Then fold the sides of the cloth inwards, around the rubber bands, and tuck them to keep them in place.
After that, your mask is ready to be worn, just place the rubber bands around your ears, and you’re good to go.