ATTRACTIONS: (a few major)
The deeply indented coastline offers numerous opportunities for exotic bird-watching, nature photography and Antarctic wildlife viewing; elephant seals and sea lions gather along the beaches of several small islands; many species of penguins have large, nearby colonies, and dolphins and Orca whales swim close to shore.
Stanley is charming, colorful and peaceful and offers numerous points-of-interest, including a remarkable cathedral, monuments to its history, and maritime and military museums. Tours of 1982 battlefield sites are easily arranged.
Throughout the islands, bike riding and hiking are popular activities, and the two larger islands offer a variety of golf courses from which to choose.
Tourist accommodations (hotels) in the Falkland Islands are limited. Outside of Stanley, there are some small lodges and self-catering cottages. Travelers are advised to make travel arrangements directly with a hotel, or through a travel agent in the Falkland Islands.
CONVENTION AND VISITOR BUREAUS:
- Falkland Islands Tourist Board
Telephone: +(500) 22215
- Electricity: 240V, 50Hz
- Times to Travel: The main season in the Falkland Islands is from October to April.
The months of December to February are favored by those who are wildlife enthusiasts as this is the peak time of their activity, and generally, are the warmest months of the year.
During October and November, the elephant seal pups are at their most adorable stage and in March and April, the Magellinic penguins pack the beaches.
During the "off" season, many of the main attractions are closed, but for outdoor enthusiasts, the winter days are crisp and clear and perfect for long walks through the hills.
TOURISM SITES AND LINKS:
- Bluff Cove Lagoon Penguin Tour
- Destination – Falkland Islands
- Falkland Islands Bird Watching
- Falkland Islands Museum and National Trust
- Sea Lion Island
PASSPORTS - TRAVEL VISAS - WARNINGS:
- NOTE: Before making your travel plans to any worldwide destination, we strongly recommend you authenticate important details regarding all applicable health, passport and visa requirments. The people at Travel Visa Pro can answer all of your questions!
Falkland Islands Photographs
Colorful houses bordering Stanley Harbor in the Falklands.
Christ Church Cathedral, Stanley, Falkland Islands